Sunday, January 6, 2008

Yesterday's 14 Miles--the longest run I've ever done

Yesterday was my first opportunity to hit a planned group run through Dana-Farber. I picked up Caitlin in Beacon Hill around 7:45 a.m., and we made our way to Watertown for the organized group run, which would take us through much of the marathon course...including Heartbreak Hill.

Around 75 people showed up, and off we jetted, clipping along at a nice, steady pace--one that pushed my endurance, but not to the point of an early burnout (thank god). The course was out and back, and took us up and down, and up and down....and up and down. Early in the run, I muttered to Caitlin that I hated hills, only to have one of the race directors behind me yell "You're in the wrong race!" Ultimately this lead us to a discussion on why I really don't hate hills, as evinced by the sheer enjoyment I took from last year's 1/2 marathon at Lake Winneppesaukee in NH--an incredibly hilly course, but also a positively gorgeous and motivational run. This conversation was to be one of many during the run, as each runner seemed open to chatting with new people. There was Chris and Brenda, who I met early in the course--Chris a 2nd-time Boston marathoner, and Brenda, training for her first, as am I.

Around 5 miles, Caitlin and I settled into a pack of four, which we would stay in for the majority of the course. Stephanie, a 28-year-old, is training for her third marathon. Her husband was running also, but far ahead of us. Larry, closer to middle-age, was training for his 18th marathon, and provided inspiration the entire route. Around Mile 10-11, as he and I were charging up Heartbreak Hill together, I thought to myself, "I can't stop...I'll never get moving again and be able to finish if I stop now!" Just behind me was Larry, and when I turned to make sure he was there yet and running ok, he pulled out one earphone, and gasped "Keep going! You look strong!" giving me, in his own tiredness, the push I needed to make it up the hill and ultimately, all the way home. This run, my longest ever, at 14 miles, felt like one of my strongest all the same.

The people I met yesterday were phenomenal. They are all running for different reasons, but are so much a community and team. It's fantastic to be included in something like this, where I am able to continue to challenge myself on an individual level, but can also support and encourage other runners, and know that I will receive the same from them in return.

Statistics of interest:
Total miles run since beginning this blog: 82.5
Total miles for 2007: 407.25 (at least that's what I've recorded)
Average per day in 2007: 1.2 miles
Total miles so far in 2008: 20.75
Average per day: 4.15

Funds raised to date: $1370.00

Three months, 14 days to go!

No comments: