Sunday, January 27, 2008

Derry Play-by-Play (also longest blog written)

The day dawned snowy and wet. I picked up Caitlin and we headed to Derry, NH, all the while peeking out the windows at the heavy snowfall and ominous white sky--this would not be ending any time soon. When we pulled up near the elementary school's parking lot, we were waved away, and told the lot was full and we'd need to park in another lot, at a second school further down the street. Further down the street, through a rotary, and several stop lights to be exact. Combined with the ongoing snowfall, things had looked better. Caitlin noted that we were, in fact, crazy, to be out and running on a day like this--a fact that was further driven home when we saw the line to catch the shuttle (i.e., large yellow school bus) to the first school--the race's starting point. When faced with the option of waiting for at least one more bus to come and go, or to simply run to the start line--well. What IS a girl to do? We started running, only mildly (not at all) cheered by the parking lot guy's cheery shout of "It's only about a mile, straight down that way!" What? An extra MILE??

We arrived back at the first school, picked up our swag (which included a pullover running top in a truly toxic shade of lime green--needless to say, I kind of adore it), and commenced with The Stretching...only to be told the run would be delayed by 15 minutes. Well, ok, no big deal. Extra stretching. Caitilin and I used this time to track down (James Bond-style, including one nifty gadget, no less--a chip timer that appeared suspiciously akin to the ankle bracelets convicts wear) our fellow DFMC'ers--Larry and Judith, a pair I've already logged some serious miles with.

Soon the start was upon us, and off we went up rolling hills and into the snow, wading our way through the inch or two of snow that was alternately accumulating and turning into a marshy, dirty, WET mess--a mile or two in and I found myself with sopping shoes. Still, trudge along, good runners, trudge along, with the sound of feet hitting the ground like a pack of antelope (or some other herd animal--feel free to insert your own metaphor here. It's a cool noise though, the sound of hundreds of feet hitting the ground around you.). And truth be told, there IS something beautiful about the way a heavy white snow like that sticks to trees and houses. I can't say that I'd recommend running in it, but it is a pretty sight.

I stayed with Caitlin and Judith through the water stop at around 6.4 miles, then we each went our merry ways. (Frankly, on a day like today, it's all you can do to keep moving; talking is really a non-issue.) Between 7-10 miles, I feel in with a very nice fellow named Kevin, a member of the Mystic Runners, who was working up to the Mount Washington run in June. (For those of you non-New Englanders, this run is about 7 or 7.5 miles--straight up Mt. Washington. It's a VERY elite race--not in the sense that you need to be an elite to get it, but in the sense that is VERY difficult to get in at all--you have to run in six other races to be considered. Madness.) Around 9 miles, he I also broke apart, and I continued slogging on my own.

Miles 10-13 were a true test. "The Hill" (actually labeled that on the map) midway through mile 10 almost broke me. I've always been a firm believer in running up hills. Period. If you need to walk, you walk at the top. Today I made it about halfway up this monster and just...had...to....stop a minute. Ah well, I did finish running up that bastard eventually, plus several more, so I think I won't lose sleep over it. During these four miles, though, I did hit a point where I seriously considered throwing myself in front of one of the passing cars. (Luckily I didn't have the energy for sideways motion.)

By the time the 14-mile sign rolled around (Sweet blessed sign!), I had reconciled myself to the fact that the race wasn't going to be over until it was over. So I dug in, lengthened the stride a little, and wacked out the last two miles, today's mantra changing to "Well, now it's just running right? What's a little more running?" When at last the finish came into view, I found myself happily surprised. With weather, my own slowness, and the hilly course, I'd been hoping to be in under 2:40/2:45. My actual time was a neat 2:32.16--hoorah!

Highlights from today:
Miles traveled running: approximately 17
Hours of basketball played 2 hours later (bad choice, incidentally): 1
Gu's consumed: 3
Inches of snowfall accumulated in Derry, NH (as of now): too damned much
Number of bloody socks worn by one Caitlin Andrews: 2
Number of bloody shoes worn by one Caitlin Andrews (thereby even further affirming the fact that Schilling is, in fact, a bit of a pansy): 1
Route, including elevation map: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1572140

Actual post-race feelings: mixed, but overall good. This was a fantastic race, one that truly tested my limits. The weather left a bit to be desired, and I'm frankly exhausted at the moment. There is something about running in the elements like this that is exhilarating, and there is a camaraderie with the other poor fools running with you that would be absent on a nicer day. The water/fuel stations were plenty, the volunteers manning them encouraging, and all in all, I'd do it again.

Sorry, no photos. Wasn't really a day conducive to carrying a camera.

To all of you who ran--major props are in order. You are ANIMALS. Good run!

2 comments:

Maggie Duffy (OKeefe) said...

Abby, you captured the race and my sentiments perfectly. The only thing that I would add is that fast or slow, we looked like an army of ants climbing the hill because of the snowy slush and slippery muck. A great race despite the 15 minute delay that startem me out frozen. What about those crazy turtle trail guys in the shorts.Yikes I beat my previous 16 mile time by 10 minutes for a 2:28:40. I was happy. I will be running the Hyannis half and the Eastern States 20, let me know if you are running either of those as I have a difficult time making the DFMC group runs. Contrats on your race. You did great!

Kristina said...

Great race summary, Abby. Running in bad conditions is ultimately the best training because it makes good days feel easier, so way to go! Hope to see you at a group run soon, and I'll see you, Maggie, at Hyannis (I'll be the one chasing a 3-yr-old after the race) and Eastern States if I have the guts to sign up!