Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thursday 5 along the dark, dark river...

While I do, in fact, love that dirty water, Thursday's run along the river was a little....well, let's start at the beginning.

My initial plan: Meet Caitlin at 5:30 to run a cool 7 miles. Of course I extended the invitation to Brenda, who in turn extended the invitation to Ben, who in turn suggested we meet at 6:00 p.m. at Crossroads (Irish bar in Kenmore Square area where there are weekly Thurs. night run out of--primarily because on Thursdays, if you buy a pitcher of beer, you also receive a cheese pizza).

Harbinger of Doom #1: Caitilin cancelled via email, citing a 5-miler that morning, and continuing knee pain.

Harbinger of Doom #2: Brenda cancelled via email, citing a weird pain in the front of one ankle.
*Side note: Brenda, limping down the street to meet Ben and I at Crossroads for a post-run beer, was stopped by a policeman, who said, "Are you alright?" to which Brenda replied, "Yeah...I'm training for the marathon." By the sounds of it the policeman seemed to think this response made perfect sense.

Harbinger of Doom #3: At 5:30, I realize I still am not going to make it to Crossroads to meet Ben at 6:00. I have Brenda contact him for me and let him know I'll shoot for 6:15.

Harbinger of Doom #4: 5:45 p.m. and I am lost in Roxbury after dropping off donated books from work (Go Pre-Press!) to a writing and tutoring charity. Oops. Not going to make it...

Harbinger of Doom #5: By 6:15, I am out of Roxbury and parked a few blocks from Crossroads. Late, and still in my work clothes, I realize I have limited options. I change in the front seat of my car, inadvertently giving a middle-aged man carrying roses a bit of a show, hook my car key into my shoelace and go bolting down the street towards the bar.

Harbinger of Doom #6: It is 6:25, and I've at last arrived, sweaty already, out of breath, and carrying my earrings in one hand...only to find that Ben has just left. DAMN.

The above is how I ended up running alone in the pitch black around the river for a cool 5 miles, thinking every so often, as I veered from particularly dark patches toward the lights along the road, that perhaps this run wasn't a good choice on my part. Still, all was well--safe and back into the light of Crossroads less than an hour later and enjoying a Blue Moon with a slice of hot cheesy pizza. Next time, though, I think maybe I either get there on time, or I stick to the busy downtown area rather than the dark river paths.

Received a photo from the aforementioned Ben this week--me looking miserable at Derry. See above!

No comments: