Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dr. E-Lamp's Guest Blog

Today Abby has a guest blogger: “Dr. E-Lamp.” I am Abby’s cousin, a 26-year old sports-crazed biologist who lives in Boulder, and also an avid runner. Just like my cousin, I will be running my first marathon late spring. The number of races I have entered is unknown; five half marathons, probably thirty 5ks, 8ks, 15ks, and one ghastly one-mile run when I first moved to Boulder.

Believe it or not, I took up distance running to become a better football player. I started high school as one of the fatter kids on the team and could not complete a single lap around the track in Wimbledon (see Feb 2 post). I hated this, and worked my way up to three miles in my first off-season. Sophomore year I was one of the fittest players on the team and won the first of three consecutive team awards for hardest worker. I kept up running about half an hour a day through high school and two years of college.

The big change came my second year of college when I decided to enter the 61 for 61 Home Run/Walk 10k in Fargo. This highlighted a 61-hour telethon to raise money for the Roger Maris Cancer Center, which cared for my aunt and grandmother (Abby’s grandma also) before they passed away. 61 for 61 is the premier road race in Fargo after the Fargo Marathon, and supports the best cause. Runners write the names of cancer victims and survivors on their bibs and leave messages on a large markerboard wall; these heart-wrenching messages along with Jim Valvano’s “Don’t Ever Give Up” speech unfailingly move me near tears. I had never run over 4 miles until signing up for that race. I ran it with my cousin Doug, whose mother of ovarian cancer at 49 years old. After that I was hooked.

Running is addicting. Sore legs and hips are addicting. Any of you who run will agree. The chemicals produced by our brains are too powerful for us to stop. I think about my long runs all week long. They are a good excuse to treat ourselves well during the week, and party like rockstars that night (except for vile Sunday races – WTF?!). At this point it’s like a contest; how far do I have to run to hurt the next day?

When I started running was a great way to organize my thoughts, de-stress after school or work, even run through conversations to clear the air with others in my head. Typically, I’m a lone wolf; Abby is the only person who I have run with. The best, and worst, thing to happen to me was the iPod. Now I listen to radio and TV shows nonstop. It’s a blessing for long runs and long races, because I think only of wanting to stop without iPod distraction.

Now I am training for a marathon. Long runs are Saturday mornings, and this week will be four hours! Boulder is at the foothills of the Front Range of the Rockies, so it is nearly impossible to take a long run with no hills. I run whatever city streets don’t have a lot of stop lights as well as the miles and miles and miles of spectacular hiking trails minutes from my house.

I own Abby in sports-related bets now. I started slow, but am now 2-0! [Sidebar: Evan actually lost THREE bets to me just before these last two. So I'm technically still winning.] For losing our Super Bowl bet (I had Giants covering), she has to visit me in Boulder. Oh yes, she will learn what a hill workout is. I’ve been over every inch of Chatauqua Park, and she’ll pray for Heartbreak Hill when we are done running there.

I really like talking about the research I do, but will not do so at this blog because it is the ultimate “game killer.” Let me know if you want to hear all about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a charming and handsome young man your cousin is, Abby!
P.S. I really enjoy both your blogs!

NIaga Artha Chemcons said...

great article, please read the article about waterstop system too http://www.ahlibeton.co.id/2015/08/waterstop-pvc.html Waterstop PVC is one type of material to prevent leakage of concrete connection