Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nag, nag, nag...here is your blog;)

TWO runs for this blog...Sunday's delightful 5.5 miles, and last night's 3 miles--both with JRod. (Honestly, if that's not a carrot I want to chase, I don't know what is.)

Though we also ran a quick and ugly 3 miles last night, what I want to talk about here is Sunday.

The day was bright and sunny...and all I wanted was to SLEEP IN. Two weeks in California, working day in and day out, burning the midnight oil, NO ONE wanting to play zombie games with me...I JUST WANTED TO SLEEP IN. Which I did:) Then got up, full of pep and pizazz and ready to rock some miles in Southie.

My friend Kim was in town, and just down the street (and on the route) at The Playwright, about a half mile into my normal Southie route. We shambed our way down there, and made it just in time to catch a very hungover Kim and her husband Steve, as they were finishing a greasy and rejuvenating brunch. The four of us chatted a bit on the street--Jared and I hating them for not being out running, Kim and Steve hating us for not being as hungover as they looked.

Then, on our merry way to Castle Island where it seemed that hundreds of people were out--sitting, walking, and running. (Where were you fair weather runners in January, huh?! When I was running that route in a thermal base with tights on top, UnderArmour, fleece, hat, and mittens?! Wimps! All of you!)

We paused for a brief moment just before the causeway to take it all in--the green-gray waves gently lapping on the rocks, a blazing yellow sun, sailboats, cruise ships and fishing boats speckling the harbor, the sounds of people talking, laughing, or just moving past us while we stood. And looked.

While there, I couldn't help but to think about all the times I stopped at this exact spot over the many cold winter runs, the many rainy nights. And while I admit that of late I've frequently mentioned my beloved--here is the truth. I pined for him (dramatically, like a 17-year-old wondering about the prom) for ages, thinking it would never work--for a number of reasons and circumstances I'll not be getting into here. I stopped at this EXACT spot over and over in those months, looking up and looking out, listening to the more violent winter waves crashing into and rushing through the causeway, thinking about how to purge his presence from my thoughts and very system. I lapped the bowl of Pleasure Bay, circling around again in frigid, driving rain, attempting to tire myself, reminding myself of all the practical things that practical me should be thinking instead, and barring my ability to change my thinking, trying to tire myself from thinking of any kind.

But. Months later. Ah...:) Just look at us now (below). It all worked out for the weirdest, most wonderful best, and it seemed on this run, that all of those runs crystallized for the sole purpose of bringing me this one, shining, sunny day, and the person I most wanted to share it with.

2 comments:

JROD said...

What a nice picture...and you look nice too hon :)

Anonymous said...

What a difference a few months make, yes? Great photo. (I'll leave you to decide which....)