Tuesday, June 3, 2008

THIEF! And Team Wicked's wicked hill workout tonight

Ok. I admit it. Sometimes I'm lazy. Right now I'm thinking longingly about the tasty dinner being made for me--white shells, baked beans, breaded pork chops, and leftover broccoli-grape salad--and here I am, blogging instead of helping.

Blogging commenced:

I was once accused of having a dichotomous self--you can click the link at left to read the first (and only, that I know of) use of this term. Basically, if you break it down, this an accusation (congratulation) of being a mixture of several personality traits--some you might not expect in one person. Example: I ran my first marathon last April. Over the next 24 hours, I consumed around 12 beers and burned a cigar in the parking lot with my dad. (It's a celebration!) In any event, my point is that no one's really the "good girl" or the "rebel"--we're all a melting pot of different traits--much more interesting than a swatch of just one color, if you ask me. ;)

But on to the "good" stuff...

Tonight I ran my first Team Wicked speed workout. After getting lost (unfortunately, this was a surprise to no one) on the way, I finally arrived at the Belmont High School track--not a bad track. It's no "fast track", but not too shabby. It didn't matter in any event, as the ladder workout I was expecting was not to be.

Instead, I got hill repeats. Ugh. The lap consisted of about an eighth of mile up a relatively steep hill, followed by around a quarter mile flat, followed by about a quarter mile of hill, at first look, steep and short, at the end, shallow and leg-mushifying. Then at last, we'd hit the top, take a break of a minute or two, then start a nearly straight shot downhill speed run, with a short flat somewhere in the middle.

The idea? Run hard on the uphills, recover on the flats. Run hard on the downhills, recover on the flat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. A total of 4.8 miles, with the 1/2 mile cooldown added in, a sleek 5+ run. Not too shabby. I would say a "good" run.

Now, the bad and the ugly: I stole Brenda's widget, thief that I am. ;) See right for the latest countdown.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

...and now I will steal the widget from you--s'all good.

Brenda said...

You even stole my widget TITLE! Shameless. Just shameless. But I suppose imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :)