Sunday, May 25, 2008

A new game for my blog readers?

Wednesday night brought the last of my chances for a run through Redwood City and Belmont, CA.

Usually, I've followed a philosophy of trying to use words to describe every detail of how my runs feel--the sunny or stormy weather, windy or dull and heavy with the deadness of humidity, the smell of the earth and trees of Ponkapoag, or Castle Island's faint stench of fish, coupled with it's wet, salty air, the feel of rain in my face, or the feel of a bead (torrent) of sweat traveling down my spine...I try to write these blogs so that whomever is reading them can physically feel as though they are also traveling the miles--can feel my tiredness and euphoria, the jubilation of finishing strong, and the disappointment of not doing so, can feel the lengthening of a stride, the pang of a footfall on pavement...

For the first time ever, this past Wednesday, I went on a run for the sole purpose of writing an interesting blog--given the uniqueness of the terrain and wildlife (plant, person, etc.), I wanted to share with local and Midwestern readers exactly what everything looked like. This time, despite my general aversion to carrying anything while I run (I can't run and chew gum at the same time, if you will), I headed out, camera in one hand, map in another, my ID and room key card tucked into the side of my sports bra.

The 5.5 mile loop took me through parts of Redwood City, CA, home of Silicon Valley, and Belmont, CA, past ludicrously fancy suburban areas, where driveways of perfectly proportioned houses held shimmering convertibles and sports cars of gleaming blacks, reds, silver or gunmetal gray.

Of all these things, what struck me the most was, quite simply, the vegetation. Shrubs were perfectly manicured shelves at strict 90-degree angles, or styled as twirling spires reaching for the sky as they tapered into tight ends. Houses boasted yards filled with the lush green grass of a polo field, and roses climbed walls and sprawled along drives with drowsy abandon.

Spring is also beginning to embrace New England, slowly and surely. But where our tulips are showing their colors and our trees beginning to green, California's plant life has already exploded into the profusion of summer. (This is not to say that Caifornia's plant life is better than that of New England--keep in mind that as California's plants and flowers begin to brown and curl in the oppressive summer heat, those of New England will be teeming with life, full of vibrant colors.)

Still, I was astounded, and delighted, with the full force of the natural beauty I unexpectedly found myself in. In honor of that, I propose a contest, with one of two prizes to the winner.

First, the prize(s)--If you're amenable, write a guest blog. Or, I'll do a blog about your wonderful (or nefarious) influence. (Second option, for ye shy, is dinner. Homecooked, with a tasty blender drink or three.)

Second, the contest:

NAME THAT PLANT

There are 10 numbered plants here--each of which struck me as lovely for one reason or another. Name them. Each correct answer is worth 10 points.

There are two bonus items. Name them each for 50 points, or one of them for 20 points.

Gentlemen (and ladies)--start your googling.


And...the two bonus items:

2 comments:

JROD said...

What I've got so far...

1.
2.
3. Bottle Brush Flower
4. Agapanthus (african lily)
5. Calla Lily
6.
7. Roses
8.
9. Griegii Tulip
10. California Poppy

Anonymous said...

jjjj