Saturday, December 22, 2007

I love the frozen tundra...and the frozen tundra loves me.


Ugh...a full week between runs--a pitiful start! This week got away from me in terms of stormy weather (jingle bell 5K was, depressingly, rescheduled for Dec. 23rd), loads of work, final Christmas shopping...and suddenly it was Wednesday night and I was trying to pack up for my 5:40 a.m. flight to Fargo, N.D. A few hours of sleep, a foggy cab ride, a few more hours of sleep (on a plane), and I am there, in the hinterlands. Which, mind you, are surprisingly balmy right now--it was about 25 degrees the day I flew in.

Fast-forward to Friday. My cousin Evan was also in town from Boulder, CO, where he is currently working on an entomological research project. Evan, having come up early to walk through graduation (just got his Ph.D.--go, Lampshade!) was at the tail end of his trip, whereas I was at the front of mine. Evan, also a heavy runner, agreed to hit the frozen streets with me at 10:00ish Friday morning. Though I'd tried to use the google pedometer site to map us a route of around 12 miles, I seemed to have trouble--none of the roads were matching up with what they should have been. Ultimately, we decided to just head outside and start running.

Clad in an assortment of layers and winter wear, we set off. First, we headed to the Jamestown marina, by way of the reservoir, then up to Hwy 20. Those of you familiar with the area surely know that Hwy 20 really isn't that interesting in terms of scenery (houses on one side; fields and the airport on the other), so rather than loop, we turned around to run along the water again. Rather than continue straight back the way we came, we shambled across the dam toward the town's fairgrounds, then down a delightful hill. Despite his repeated insistence that "Gu makes you weak!" Evan was ultimately talked into a carb-loaded mint chocolately treat at the bottom. Thus loaded with sugary sustenance, we continued on our merry way, next to the bank and over the river, up Mill Hill to...you guessed it--the World's Largest Buffalo! We jogged through the fort, up to the buffalo, and in keeping with family tradition, gave it a good slap on the family jewels before heading back downhill, via a different path.

Several curves into the new path, we realized we might be lost...or at the least didn't have a clue where this road would come out. Given that the only other option was running back up the hill (not a plan I supported), we settled on continuing on in the spirit of adventure. We ended up popping out by a gas station south of town, and finding our way home quite easily in the end.

Important statistics from this run:
Total time elapsed during run: 2 hours, 15 minutes (I'd guess around 12.5 miles.)
Total gu's consumed: 3
Total number of clothing items worn to protect against the elements: 18
Number of alcoholic beverages consumed on Thursday (purely in the interest of carb-loading): 7

*See photo for Evan and I doing a realistic reenactment of a road race. Note his "The Agony of Victory!" face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can verify that they went running, as when they came in they were sopping wet with stinky sweat. A great day for a great run in North Dakota. Go Abby and Evan!

Anonymous said...

I still think Gu makes you weak.