Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday's spontaneous absurdity (12.5, baby!)


Though I'd planned to take today off, the recent snowstorm piled up the streets. With that, and news of Sunday's impending repeat, the DFMC cancelled our first scheduled group run--we were to run between 9 and 12. As I'm heading home to North Dakota Thursday of next week, I really wanted to get a good run in this week. (It will be tough to fit in runs in a) the cold, b) the cold, and c) due to scheduling constraints caused by overconsumption of tom and jerry's, assorted Christmas goodies, and cigars, and d) the damn cold!) So, I had planned to shoot for the moon--12 miles. (Last week's long run was only 4, the week before 10, so this would be the longest training run to date.) Luckily, I've been blessed with a crazy running friend, Kate, who you'll likely hear much more about before this is over! I immediately emailed Kate and proposed that she join me for a scenic jog through the mean streets of Southie. She immediately balked, both at the locale (Abby: "Kate, I mapped out a route that runs us on the coastline of the harbor...and also avoids the Old Colony Projects..."), and the temperature (Kate: "Dude. It's balls cold. I'll run on a treadmill and that's it." Abby: "I'm NOT running for 2 hours on a treadmill.") She eventually weakened at the offer of dinner (which her fiance ended up making us) and homemade turtles (2 hours later, and we've already demolished them).

Out we trekked, clad in our assorted "performance gear," sneaks, hats (for her a stocking, me the trusted sox hat), and tasty gu (mint chocolate and vanilla bean). Approximately 5 miles in, Kate looked at me, muttered about the right side of her face, then "I must really love you." By the time we got home, it was 9:30 p.m., and we were both exhausted and triumphant (but mostly exhausted). Off tomorrow, the Bill Rodgers' Jingle Bell run (5k) on Sunday at 4:00. Put on by my favorite race directer, Paulie Collyer (of Somerville Striders beer run fame), and endorsed by many a pub, it is sure to be a good time.

We may also take my roommate's coonhound, the charming Satchmo.

No comments: