Saturday, February 7, 2009

Amen(orrhoea)

Well. Verdict is in, and next week will most likely bring the third month of the absence of my "little friend," the old "Aunt Flo," She's been gone since around Thanksgiving.

That's right. Amenorrhoea. Here's what Wikipedia has to say (and Wikipedia don't lie, folks):

Exercise amenorrhoea

Female athletes or women who perform considerable amounts of exercise on a regular basis are at risk of developing 'athletic' amenorrhoea. It was thought for many years that low body fat levels and exercise related chemicals (such as beta endorphins and catecholamines) disrupt the interplay of the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone. However recent studies have shown that there are no differences in the body composition, or hormonal levels in amenorrheic athletes. Instead, amenorrhea has been shown to be directly attributable to a low energy availability. Many women who exercise at a high level do not take in enough calories to expend on their exercise as well as to maintain their normal menstrual cycles. [1]

A second serious risk factor of amenorrhea is severe bone loss sometimes resulting in osteoporosis and osteopenia. It is the third component of an increasingly common disease known as female athlete triad syndrome. The other two components of this syndrome are osteoporosis and disordered eating. Awareness and intervention can usually prevent this occurrence in most female athletes.

Last year, having skipped the menstrual cycle from Thanksgiving through April, I had been at times, a bit concerned...this year, having spoken at length with my doctor, I was a bit less so. 

So. Here we go...again. While part of me finds amenorrhoea to be a side affect of marathon training that remains a little concerning, the other part of me rejoices...

...and says "Amen."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TMI? The last time I heard the term menstrual cycle I was out with a friend who tried to hook up with the bar maid. She informed him she was on her menstrual cycle, and he said that was ok he would follow her home on his Honda.

Brenda said...

Have I told you lately how much I hate you? ;)

Abigail said...

Just remember. I'm probably rendering myself infertile.

Anonymous said...

Well, the alternative is your family history of fibroids and all the lovely side effects they engender. All the (former) female athletes I know who had exercise amenorrhoea returned to normal once they stopped training so intensely. They have kids now, so probably not to worry about infertility.