Saturday, January 3, 2009

Who Does #2 Work For?

The past week was a surprisingly difficult week to get any running in, as the universe seemed determine to halt me in my tracks. Following the schedule, I dutifully scraped out a stiff 3 miles on Sunday--the day after a long, wet 11.7 in the rain--my body protesting the entire way. Monday was a cross-training day, and I got in a "token" workout, logging some time on the elliptical while reading my lone Modern Bride magazine--a Women's Fitness at hand in case I needed to hide my illicit paraphernalia from the other gym-goers.

Tuesday, our neighbor's roof lit on fire, derailing my plans to run with Jared. No worries, we could log some miles Wednesday.

Wednesday brought a blizzard, and me leaving work early only to drive 2+ hours in the snow and traffic.

Thursday, we managed to squeeze in some miles on the treadmill before the early gym closing--6.8 miles, and I didn't have to spend a single extra moment in the frigid outdoors!

Friday, more cross-training, this time on a stationary bike. (Note: I only made it 20 minutes, as once I finished the Modern Bride, I had nothing with me but a dullsville book club book to entertain me.)

Saturday, #2 of the Dana-Farber group runs, a semi-blistering pace set by B...with me gamely (on the surface at least) trotting along with it. We cruised up and over hills, with me (mentally) grumbling all the way. We careened down the back of the same hills, feet flying and smiles wide by the time we hit Jared's water stop for a high-five, a gatorade, and a quick smooch for me. We charged up Heartbreak, cresting the top with many a gasp and wheeze, before settling in for a smooth run back to the Mt. Auburn Club in Watertown.

With nearly every mile, I thought to myself how unlikely it was that I'd be able to maintain the pace for much longer. But the miles slowly fell away, and our legs moved even faster, topping out around 10-11 miles with one wildly fast 8:11-minute mile. Near the end, B jokingly noted I should attempt to qualify time for Boston 2010 with her...and suddenly I realized we were still running fast--after 12.5 miles.

We finished our 13 at a staggering average of 8:39 min/mile, with me astonished, and elated, at the possibilities of my own body.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, who is the normal-height giraffe among the tiny gazelles? Just kidding - but don't they feed children in New England? Everyone is so short.

JROD said...

She is a giant creature among a sea of normal-sized...er, I mean, it's all about linear perspective...the way the camera's angled...er...

Unknown said...

She just looks extra tall standing next to me :)

sarah said...

Thanks for the great picture and recap! I'm hoping to join you guys at some point in the near future with a brand new pair of orthodics!!