Sunday, January 11, 2009

3 Miles of Refreshment

After yesterday's 14 with B and Jared, I anticipated waking up with some stiff muscles. But after around 10-11 hours of ZZZ's, I awoke from some bizarre, Smallville-themed dreams to a well-rested self. I shuffled into the kitchen, put on a pot of coffee, and started some bacon and eggs. Within 15 minutes, I had settled onto the couch in my PJs, and was happily cuddled up with a blanket, my breakfast, and Eragon.

When I finished the book, I headed to the gym, for what's become a weekly, semi-agonizing 3-4 miles the day after a long run. But as I started running on the treadmill, I realized what I hadn't all morning--I felt great! No aching muscles, no sore bones, just a full rested, ready-to-run body. I banged out a quick three miles, and got in a couple good sets of my pro-runner lifting routine, feeling strong and capable. I finished with some solid planks, while humming along to Brick House, as provided by the iPod shuffle, in its infinite workout wisdom. While this kind of enjoyable workout isn't exactly par for the course after a long run, I don't plan to look a gift horse in the mouth...

Now, at home, I'm ready to hop in the shower and clean my apartment, so when my tired man and favorite running buddy gets home from a day of skiing with his school's 5th and 6th graders, he can do what I've been able to do most of today--relax, and enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from a weekend of hard work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The running gods were in your back pocket today. Good for you.