Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shoes, shoes, and shoes

Though I admit to being passionate about many things (books, running, doing a job well, JRod, cheese, zombie movies, 30s love songs, hoops, Sam Adams Octoberfest...oh, how the list goes on), there is one item that my tomboy/girl self adores, especially at this time of year.

Shoes.

My gleaming new Nike AirMax Moto 5's (yes, its my third pair of this shoe) are, quite simply, a delicious treat. The soothing blue detailing has been replaced with a zesty near-red pink. That's right. Pink. And I'm not ashamed. (With a new pair of red laces, they're seriously bad ass, anyway.)

More exciting, I am using this pair as a test--sans orthotics, that is. The short history: A nasty case of plantar fascitis my sophomore year of college began with me dreading the foot pain getting out of bed, going up stairs, playing ball, and well, walking a whole lot. At the end of the year I started wearing corrective orthotics, which helped, though likely not nearly as much as my hard-won acceptance and understanding that the body if a machine--like any other, sometimes it breaks down. Unlike modern machines though, the body is self-healing, and if you listen to it, even just a little, it will tell you what it needs. Understanding this affects my running, and the rest of my life today, and allows me to stay healthy and happy.

Shoes...

But back to the shoes. Two pairs ago (my first Air Max's, and the shoes I trained for the 2008 marathon in), a nice salesman at Marathon Sports was watching me walk around the store, and suddenly asked "Why the orthotics?" He went on to say that if I'd ever had a foot imbalance it appeared to have corrected itself.

Still, fear prevailed, and I kept wearing my increasingly worn set (this was not the original set from college, of course).

This time, on new, neutral, cushiony shoes, I'm easing myself into it. A toe in the water if you will--just over 2 miles on Sunday, a little over 3 on Monday--and so far, so good. I am FREE!

Shoes?

The second shoes referred to in the title are my beloved's. Having caved to my good influence, Jared began running as I tapered for the marathon. He was promptly rewarded with ITB Syndrome, and near the middle of the summer, after weeks of PT, rolling, and stretching, was forced to give up running. After six weeks, he was raring to come back, after purchasing himself a new pair o' shoes. He joined me on the two aforementioned short runs--and for him also, so far, so good. (In fact, he one-upped me by banging out a quick 2 miles today, whereas I drove home from work and ate half a chocolate bar.) Again, though--new shoes=new freedom. Freedom to be active an agile, and more importantly, gain back some confidence.

These shoes rule...

Shoes #3: Every year, I buy myself a birthday gift, a ridiculously overpriced, completely impractical pair of shoes. They may be snakeskin stilettos (2006), frilly black dancing-style shoes (also 2006; a good year), or houndstooth-patterned heels (2007), or they may be an as-yet unpurchased pair of halfboots. This is the lone pair of shoes, per year, that I buy whatever catches my eye. Ridiculously high and obviously going to be uncomfortable and tough to walk in? Doesn't matter if they're pretty. Doesn't match with anything I own? My lust for them only increases.

I mention this now because my birthday is a little over a month away. Which means its time to start window-shopping for the perfect pair.



This year, I'm seriously considering plaid. Or something in the electric color family. Hmm...must discuss this with Brenda during tomorrow's early morning 5.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

OMG SHOES! I should have read your blog before I went to bed last night, instead of working on an award submission for one of my clients. We MUST discuss!

Anonymous said...

But I bought plaid shoes last year - just for fun, and a more miserably uncomfortable pair of shoes cannot possibly be found in this universe. I have relegated them to "sitting at my desk only" shoes as they're actually painful to walk in. While I'm aware that just because ONE pair of plaid shoes is awful doesn't mean that all of them are, but the results have run 100% bad so far. But I get lots of "oh, how cute!" compliments....