Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Once a runner? Or something...


Though many of you may already know this, there are surely some who don't--and I delight in telling you. The truth is...in my past life, I was not a runner (at least not in the sense that I use the term now), I was...a basketball player.

Lately, my parents have been cutting out clippings from the local newspaper, notes and blurbs on my past glory days--that's right, from the "10 Years Ago Today!" Sports section. Sigh...I have become that woman. I can't quite decide if I am painfully aged and decrepit, or feel just a little bit badass for having made the highlights a few times. (Totally the second, by the way.)

Saturday, I banged out a solid 12 miles with Brenda--her quest to train for the BAA half continues, as my penchant for self-abuse, it seems, as I am, quite simply, doing the training work, without nary a race scheduled until November.

Sunday, my regular womens' basketball league, a scrappy affair that began at 7:30. The post player? Well, let's just say that it was easier for me to push back when I was less a runner, and more a basketball player--with the extra 20 pounds of muscle to prove it.

BUT. It was a feisty, uber-competitive guard who took to the halfcourt floor with me in teh second half. End result? Well, I think I got the ball. I KNOW I got one massive bruise on my right knee, and some serious floor burn on my left. )Seriously. It's a rec league. What the hell was I thinking?!)

Jared arrived just after the opening minutes, and snapped some soon-to-be-classic images of the epic battle in the wall ball arena. In the end, we got the game, and I got a high-five from my sweetheart, plus a home-cooked meal after.

SIDE NOTE: One of the girls on the other team, Tara Kelly, is also running the Seacoast Half in November. Looks like I'm not the only basketball player come runner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be an Oldie, but you're still a Goodie in my book.

Brenda said...

Holy crap, that's a sweet bruise!! Nice work :) And glad you're OK. I looked at the photo and immediately thought you destroyed your knee beyond running ability.