Saturday, May 23, 2009

Three Times A Runner

Sigh...and I find another week has passed, with nary a blog from this silly runner. Still, at long last, this is one of the first post-marathon weeks that I've actually gotten out and about to DO some running--they may not have been long or highly adventurous runs, but the proof is in the pudding. Getting outside is really all that matters at the end of the week.

The first of these was last Saturday--the Dana-Farber reunion run. Though I was disappointed at the relatively small number of runners present, I was happy to see several of my favorite faces--B, Jim, Gordon, and co, along with two friendly volunteers logging some miles--Mary Ann and my own beloved. Though we'd planned an easy, loose 5ish miles around the Charles, we soon were dancing away the miles at a brisk and unfaltering pace. Jared, Mary Ann, John and I, along with a few others, turned around to make our run a quick and snappy 5 miles. B and several others continued another bridge to make a sleek 7ish. Jared and I chatted a few, then headed out to the Fells, where we'd planned to do another 5 for an even 10 miles of training. Upon hitting the trails, though, we rethought our decision, and after a somewhat haphazard 2 more miles, called it a day at 7.

Monday I managed to finagle the lovely Alison Ruhlman into a happy three along the Charles, where we caught up on each other was up to.

Thursday brought another 3.5ish with my better half, as we abused some fast loping miles that did the trick--clearing away the day's bad mood for me.

Last year I had an excuse to ease back into running in my body's faltering recovery from the marathon, but this year's torpedo-style recovery means I need to be out there, left-foot, right-foot-ing... which is OK. I don't know that I'll be running many long runs outside of on the weekend, but its nice to get out there three or so times a week and feel alive again.

Not to mention, it's a great excuse to justify some high-caloric summer foods and an extra cold beer.

No comments: