Sunday, May 10, 2009

40 Minutes (or 5) with My Mom...

As noted in my most recent post, my mom walked a half-marathon yesterday--her first! She'd anticipated her total time being around 4 hours--with an average pace of 17:00/mile, and factoring in time for bathroom or stretch/drink breaks. I promised her I'd head out for a few miles with her--but having to take the gorgeous (and growing!) Copley to obedience class from 11:00-12:00 meant that I'd catch only the tail end of her travels.

Still, hopeful that I'd be able to "see her home," I headed out as soon as I could--at about 12:30. I spent the next 40 minutes and one second thinking hard, motivating thoughts in the general direction of my mom (a lot of "You can do it!" types of things).

Little did I know that my mom was kicking the ass of the last of the half marathon--in only the first five minutes or so of my run.

Clock time: 3:36
Actual (chip) time: 3:28.

Awesome!

1 comment:

vg said...

As Abby said, my goal was to finish, and finish I did. The first 8 miles a nice young (34) woman walked with me as it was her first as well. Little did I know she hadn't gone over 5 miles in her training! I am embarassed to admit that when she began talking to someone else, I ditched her and went at my own pace. My second half was a comfortable (but brisk) 14.3 MPH, not much for you runners out there, but good for me!
Today, after popping the large blister on the bottom of my slightly smaller left foot, I feel pretty good although more muscle-fatigued than I anticipated. (Dave took one look at me and offered me a ride in the cart while we were in WalMart this afternoon.) How the rest of you manage the full Marathon and at RUNNING speed, I remain in awe of. You ROCK.

Fatigue or no, I'm already thinking about my plan of attack for the next one....