Friday, December 5, 2008

Voter Results!

The past week has been a bit ho-hum in terms of running...I played some hoop on Tuesday, after a sluggish Monday run. (We lost, by the way, ending the HDR dreams of finishing in the middle of the pack.) I'm taking some time now to take care of a sore left knee, in hopes that some good sense now will leave me logging some happy long miles with the DFMC at next weekend's first group run. So it's some quality miles on an arc trainer for me...ick.

Luckily, I have the promise of more Tom & Jerry's to keep me smiling, coupled with the cookies the other half and I are planning to bake tonight. Even luckier--the voters have spoken, and I have received familial approval to share the Tom & Jerry recipe. So without further ado...

TOM & JERRY'S


8 eggs
Lots of powder sugar
just a tich of baking soda
Rum (oh yum)
Brandy (oh, what a good wife she would be)
HOT water (Perrier is forbidden given the family history)
Nutmeg (occasionally she is)

(*Note: As there's only two of us, we've been making a 1/4-batch, which makes four Tom & Jerry's, or two each...just enough to get me slightly pickled.)

THE BATTER:
Separate the eggs (one in the living room, one in kitchen, one in garage, etc)

Beat the whites without being a racist. (Should look almost like meringue.)
Beat the yolks old country fogey style.
Make sure the beatings are thorough... like old school whuppin'.

Combine the beaten duo and add powder sugar to taste. Your goal here is a nice light and sweet batter. It is essential to poke a finger in and test a few times. I have always found one shot of rum sharpens the taste buds nicely.

At this time the tich of baking soda comes in. It is optional whether you whip it into the batter or toss it over your left shoulder. Whichever it is, you must say with gusto... "To preserve the batter!"

THE CUP
Fill the cup aboot 1/2 full with batter while remembering thy roooots.
Pour in one shot rum and one shot brandy (1/2 shot brandy if you prefer but it strikes me better to be balanced).
Add HOT water until 1.384567" below the rim.
Stir nicely with your favorite spoon.

Add more batter to fill the cup and you MUST drizzle a bit down the side (options A and B):
Option A. Drizzle... on the premise that many people spill anyway and just get it over with.
Option B. Drizzle... some people who are neat freaks need to walk on the wild side (help them).
A light nutmeg sprinkle to finish with that little special flourish (supposedly my grandmother used to call it happy dust).

Enjoy. Repeat. Repeat. Repeatfshjdhhbkvc.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks and I love your sense of humor.The Villain

Anonymous said...

I see you used your Uncle Cory's version of the recipe! It's the "powedered sugar to taste" that will defeat some people. You may want to be just a tad more precise....

I'm throwing in the original version, just to be on the safe side.

Tom and Jerrys

Ingredients:
Eggs, powered sugar, banking soda, dark rum, brandy, hot water, nutmeg

Directions:
1. Separate 8 eggs.
2. Beat each (whites and yolks) separately. Very critical step.
3. Combine these into a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly while adding powered sugar. Amount of this varies according to your "taste" test - probably a couple of cups. While mixing, add a pinch of baking soda and an ounce of rum to batter. Mix until batter is rather stiff.
4. When batter is ready, add about one quarter cup of batter to a mug, Add rum and brandy with a proportion of 1 oz rum and 1/2 oz brandy (or whatever strength you want). Next add boiling water to about 1 inch from top. Top off with more batter followed by nutmeg on top. Voila!

I personally put the brandy and rum in first, then the batter, and then add the water. I use a full shot of both rum and brandy, although I also use a good-sized cup. This is perhaps why the recipe is so important for world peace. I never feel like fighting or arguing after a couple mugs of T & Js.

Unknown said...

I've never heard of anyone outside of MN making these things! If rum didn't completely ruin my head for days, I'd be all over them!!! (especially after today's ugly long run!!)

Abigail said...

Must be a MidWestern thing--I'm from ND originally:)

Unknown said...

I knew we should be friends!