Tuesday, July 29, 2008

24 Days Later (not a zombie flick)

Yes, yes, it's been a loooong 24 days since I've last blogged...and I have no one to blame but myself.

The truth is, I like summer. I like hot days, cold beers, and the fun outdoorsy things that can be done.

I do not, however, like running in the summer. It is hot, sticky, harsh-breathing work, and the days post-giving blood only made it worse. Add to that a long weekend with relatives in town, another weekend down with a nasty cold...and it's been almost three weeks since I've done a run longer than 5 miles. Ick.

That said, I'm not giving up running entirely, and I'm not giving blogging up either...but the last paragraph kind of sums up the last three weeks.

So what's next? Well, I am GLAD YOU ASKED! Falmouth is what's next in terms of races--a gigantic 10K held in Falmouth, Massachusetts, where normal runners (such as me) will race against the greats--Bill Rodgers and a slew of Kenyans. Other runners you've heard me mention will also be attending this sure to be exciting event--Caitlin, Lucas, Brenda, Jared, to name a few.

After that, the only race I've signed up for is the Seacoast half.

In the meantime, I plan to at last get back to the destination runs--now that Jared's IT band has stopped troubling him, it's time for me to drag him back out on the road (notice how I don't mention a blistering 3 mile run last week in which he pushed the pace the entire way--also in which we stopped to peruse a couch on the side of the street, but that's another story). This weekend we're camping with friends from the CAC basketball leagues (where both of us play, and also where we met) in the mountains of New Hampshire...and...

is that what I think it is? The smell of a fresh trail that needs some running on it? Hmmm....I think so.

Today's lesson: Remember, you don't need to run faster than the bear. You only need to run faster than the other people trying to outrun the bear.

Hopefully Jared and I can run faster than this random Asian guy.

No comments: