Monday, November 2, 2009

Saturday's 1/2

At long last, with my beloved back in town, we were ready to head out for the last long run before Seacoast next weekend. Since we wanted to take another gander at some of the new proposed routes for RunBoston, we decided to map a meandering route through Cambridge, along the Charles, through Charlestown past Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution, back over the river (we do love that dirty water), past the Common, down Newbury and Boyleston, and then at last back past the Common and to the T.

Our original route included one last leg to Fenway, but a cranky Abby managed to whine her way out of that last mile. Overall, a good training run, and one that happily ended with Starbucks in Davis Square for the walk home.

Jared whipped up some breakfast while I changed into dry clothes--then it was a shower for him, and a car for me as I headed off for my second (and much shorter) run of the morning.

By 9:45, I was comfortably ensconced in an empty classroom with 7 FitGirls, B, and an expectant (literally) coach, Patty.

The miles flew by, as I was lucky to be passing miles with three charming, talkative, and energetic 5th-6th graders--Pamela, AnnaMaria, and Julia. The three of them kept me engaged and impressed, as they walked less than 3/4 mile of the 5K. They kept each other moving and motivated, and I was impressed to hear them openly discuss the importance of "running not winning" the race that morning. They reminded me of the openness that kids embrace the world with--one of the things that we often lose as we get older.

Tomorrow it's off to the Seacoast half marathon for us--and I am hoping we can channel some of that child-like joy, and enjoy the miles, and this late fall warm spell.

No comments: