Sunday, July 19, 2009

3x the Charm + a 7.5-Mile Fruitcake

Not much to report the past two weeks, but a quick recap:

3x the Charm: It was the perfect menage a trois, three times the fun--that is, three times the three-mile run. Two threes with Jared, and in between a lingering three miler along the river with just me, myself, and I--the three of us.

A 7.5-Mile Fruitcake: Yesterday, after managing to sweet talk Jared into an extra 32 minutes of ZZZ's, I crawled out of bed. A peanut-butter coated piece of toast later, I was wishing Jared well on his 12-mile bike at the Fells, while I locked up the house for 6+ miles 'round the 'hood.

A mile or so in, tripping past the projects, I was lucky enough to hear the sweet morning sounds of an early pianist tickling the ivories. My feet kept the beat by, as fingers flew over keys in melody that was bright and trickling. The sounds fading behind me, I turned onto the Alewife Brook Parkway, squeezing myself between the guard rail and verdant foliage. I emerged damp through on the right side, but happy for the quick cool off from the humid morning.

By time I reached Mass Ave to head along my winter route, I was panting, and wondering how I'd ever made it 5 miles, let alone 26. I promised myself a break at the halfway point, to force myself to keep running.

At Pleasant Street, my halfway point, I headed across the street, and at last, feeling loose, decided there was no reason to keep going--I could always stop for a quick stretch and breather later if I needed to. I slowed slightly as I passed the Starbucks, taking deep whiffs until I at last caught the delicious scent of roasting beans. Refreshed, I picked my pace back up (granted, only to the fairly relaxed trot it had been before).

Two German Shepherds and a russet Golden Retriever later, I found myself bounding down College Ave, only a few blocks from home. A quick jaunt through Davis, and I was soon at my door, ready to grab Copley and head to the Fells to meet my beloved.

We hit the Fells parking lot just in time to find a sweaty JRod just having finished his bike. Minutes later the three of us were heading down the trails in the usual loop, Copley gamboling through every puddle she could and herding her owners from side-to-side of the winding trails. Jared, having worked out a fairly ludicrous amount already, was unfortunately plagued with a stiff hip that necessitated us calling it quits after about a mile and a half--when both of us were happy to walk the rest of the trail, and cool off in the damp, drizzling air.

All in all, a nice little fruitcake of a run, and one that made me realize that I do miss those longer runs when I don't get them in!

1 comment:

bumblebe said...

I "run" to the refrigerator to get a piece of fruitcake to eat. HA HA