Saturday, April 18, 2009

One Hell of an Exciting Week

This week's was one thrilling drift of taper and taking care of my much-beleagured body, with an hour of cross-training (run replacement, nearly as satisfying as low-fat chocolate--Ha!) on Monday, and an admittedly short (2.8 miles) run on Thursday. Today, I should have run another lazy, slow 2-3 miles, but I skipped it, after spending two hours walking around the marathon expo, picking up my number and my bag of Dana Farber goodies (the two cookies shaped like feet didn't even make it down the escalator, by the way).

Many may argue that I should have done the short miles today, and many might be right. But I am enjoying this last little break before the big dance on Monday, and I think my knees, which I'll ice again tonight and tomorrow to get them into prime punching form, will thank me for it.

The expo was full of many delights:

1. I met Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon with an official number. She had entered the race under her initials, K. V. Switzer. She was nearly attached by race director Jack Semple, who was convinced she was making a mockery of his race. Later the two became fast friends, however, and she pioneered the women's running movement, and was integral in getting the marathon added to the Olympics as a womens' event. When faced with such a creature, I held out a book for her to sign, and nervous and emotional...turned into an asshole, blurting "Make it happen!" WTF?! Of course, I followed up by blathering away in a complimentary manner, informing Ms. Switzer that I did already have a copy of her book, but wanted another for her to sign...and likely making no sense at all. That's right, I'm an idiot asshole savant.

2. I realized the marathon motivational poster of an elderly fellow had a time posted that was (sigh) faster than mine. Luckily when I stood next to him, I realized he was much bigger than me, likely explaining how he could finish 3 minutes faster than me last year. (It's all in the legs.)

3. The finish line is fully painted and glorious, near the Boston Public Library in Copley Square, a place of so many delights: a) the library being where my beloved and I realized our feelings for each other; b) the finish line, where at long last, my tired body will get to stop its fiendish torment, and c) proximity to a Starbucks. Last year I was afraid to stand on the finish line before the marathon, worried that it would "nix" me. This year I made that thing my b*tch, and not only stood on it, I hung out for a while and loved up on it. (I'll be seeing you Monday, you sexy finish line, you...)

4. The Old South Church. On Sunday morning, at 11:00 a.m., there will be a special service, the "blessing of the athletes." I didn't make it last year, but will go this year. On the front of the church, every year a biblical quote is hung, one of my favorite running-related quotes:

May you run and not grow weary
Walk and not faint.
--Isaiah

Now there's nothing to do but drink water, carb-load, and bedazzle my Dana Farber singlet!

Wish me luck on Monday, an as always...if you haven't donated, there is still time! Just click on the Dana Farber link in the right sidebar of my blog.

2 comments:

bumblebe said...

Good Luck. You will be in my thoughts.

Pops said...

In our thoughts and hearts on monday you,ll be. It still seems like yesterday you bounced on my knee. Now as I stare at your picture that hangs on my wall, I know that come monday you,ll stand proud and tall. Back in Dakota we,ll be cheering long and loud. I hope that you know that you make Pops VERY PROUD!