Tuesday, April 15, 2008

3.5 on the Charles with one Allison Ruhlmann

During the past months of marathon training, I've met an assortment of new people and forged strong bonds with fellow runners. But some days, its nice to get together with the people I ran with before. I've blogged before about Kate. This week I ran with another friend, Allison "Abby, you know I don't run unless you make me" Ruhlmann. Well, Al, I did make you run yesterday, to the sweet spring tune of 3.5 miles around the Charles River.

We bolted off from Al's place in Beacon Hill, and headed for the Charles. When she took the stairs while I took the (totally longer) ramp cross over to the esplanade, I let her have it--much to the enjoyment of a female stranger, also in athletic gear, who also likely has running friends who take the stairs rather than the (totally longer) ramp.

We passed a lazy 30 or 40 minutes jogging along the river, then slowed to a walk as we crossed the Mass. Ave bridge--sheerly for the purpose of zealous gossip, not due to tiredness.

Allison is one of the most entertaining persons I run with--she is 100% herself--no artifice, no excuses. She is the friend who will say, "If you want to run fast, that's fine. I'm not going to run with you, though." Or "I don't need you to be rational right now. I need you to agree with my side of the story." She is always honest, usually practical, a steadfast friend, and an easily peer-pressured runner.

And though I have to promise to run slow to get her to come with me, she doesn't usually complain when I sneakily speed up a mile in.

SIDE NOTE: New running pal and feast for the senses Jared did a very nice thing recently. Tough to describe, and better put with the link to what he set up for my family and close friends for Marathon Monday. Check it out by clicking HERE.

Now that's a good man. :)

1 comment:

Common Chef said...

Firstly, awesome job running today (marathon day) I've been thinking positive thoughts all day for you! So on mile 18.9 that's me saying "go abby go!"

Secondly, thanks so much for the kind words... nothing better than running and gossiping at the same time! (except perhaps cheetos) No, no! Running with you is better than cheetos. ;-)

Seriously though! Awesome job! Lots of love!